Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Aquatic vegetation restoration in Drakes Creek, Tennessee|
|Authors:||Aquatic Plant Control Research Program (U.S.)|
Dick, Gary Owen, 1956
Smart, R. Michael.
Snow, Joe R.
|Keywords:||Drakes Creek, Tennessee|
Aquatic vegetation restoration
|Publisher:||Environmental Laboratory (U.S.)|
Engineer Research and Development Center (U.S.)
Background: The primary purpose of the Drakes Creek Section 1135 Restoration Project was to improve aquatic wildlife habitat in a floodwater conveyance. Drakes Creek is a major tributary embayment of the Old Hickory Reservoir on the Cumberland River, its mouth located at Cumberland River mile 222.2, 10 km upstream from Old Hickory Dam. The project site is located in the City of Hendersonville, Tennessee, at the limit of the Old Hickory pool, approximately 4 miles above the creek’s mouth. When Old Hickory Dam was closed in 1954, the upper end of the Drakes Creek embayment began to fill with silt. By the early 1990s, exposed mud flats had become apparent. Loss of aquatic habitat generated support for applying corrective and restoration efforts. The U.S. Army Engineer District, Nashville, is managing the Federal portion of the Section 1135, with the City of Hendersonville serving as local sponsor. Two separate projects have been initiated in Drakes Creek. The first, commonly referred to as Phase 1, is located on the left descending bank of the creek immediately below the Highway 31E bridge, adjacent to Memorial Park (Figure 1). The second project, Phase 2, will extend downstream from the Highway 31E bridge for up to a mile along the middle of the creek and/or the right descending bank. The Lewisville Aquatic Ecosystem Research Facility (LAERF), U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC), participated in Phase 1 of this project, employing techniques developed for establishing native aquatic plants in man-made reservoirs. In Phase 1, geo-tubes were filled with sediments dredged from approximately 17 acres of degraded (silted-in) aquatic habitat. The geo-tubes were installed to partially isolate a portion of the creek adjacent to Memorial Park from the main channel, thereby reducing silt deposition (Figure 2).
|Appears in Collections:||Technical Bulletin|