Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Geomorphic Investigation of the Great Bend Region, Red River
Authors: Albertson, Paul E.
Corcoran, Maureen K.
Autin, Whitney J.
Kruger, John.
Foster, Theresa.
Keywords: Geomorphology
Red River
Flood control
Archeological site location
Publisher: Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (U.S.)
Series/Report no.: Technical Report (Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (U.S.));no.ERDC/GSL TR-18-17
Abstract: The U.S. Army Engineer District, Vicksburg, conducted feasibility studies to rehabilitate the levees along the Red River from Fulton, AR, to the Arkansas-Louisiana state line. In support of these studies, research was performed by the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center to provide a geomorphic framework for cultural resources in the project area. This research had three specific objectives: (1) identify and map geomorphic features in the study area on 1:24,000 scale maps, (2) define geomorphic processes that are active in the study area, and (3) reconstruct the geomorphic development of the study area to understand the significance of geomorphic features in terms of both locating previously unknown archaeological sites and discovering buried sites. Field investigations and aerial photography were used to interpret the geomorphology. Approximately 6 percent of the known archeological sites are located above the floodplain on valley slopes or bluffs. The remaining 94 percent of the sites are associated with the floodplain of the various fluvial components that form the study area. Forty-six percent of flood-plain sites are located adjacent to crevasse channels. Other known archaeological sites are primarily located on the natural levee or adjacent point bars.
Description: Technical Report
Gov't Doc #: ERDC/GSL TR-18-17
Rights: Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited
Size: PDF/A
Types of Materials: 187 pages / 26.08Mb
Appears in Collections:Technical Report

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
ERDC-GSL TR-18-17.pdf26.71 MBAdobe PDFThumbnail