Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Investigation of durability of concrete exposed to natural weathering. Report 5, Summary of results 1936-1953|
|Authors:||United States. Army. Office of the Chief of Engineers.|
U.S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station.
|Publisher:||U.S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station.|
Engineer Research and Development Center (U.S.)
Preface: The establishment of exposure stations, and the conduct of programs of investigations relative to the durability of concrete exposed to natural weathering have been authorized from time to time by the Office, Chief of Engineers. The initial installation of concrete specimens at an exposure station was made at Treat Island, Maine, in 1936 by the Concrete Laboratory of the Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project. In 1939 the Office, Chief of Engineers, authorized the Central Concrete Laboratory, North Atlantic Division, to develop data relative to the durability of concrete exposed to severe weathering. Under this authorization specimens were prepared and installed at exposure stations in Maine, Florida, and New York. In 1946 the Office, Chief of Engineers, directed the Concrete Research Division of the Waterways Experiment Station (successor to the Central Concrete Laboratory) to continue the work in connection with these exposure stations. Further authority is contained in multiple letter of the Office, Chief of Engineers, dated 14 September 1948, subject, "Civil Works Investigations of Office, Chief of Engineers," item CW-604-Concrete "Continuation of Permanent Exposure Stations.”. Additional authorizations have been provided since that time for the making and installing of specific specimens at these exposure stations. Results of these various investigations have been reported* from time to time. Because many of these reports are out of print, this report includes a summary of all of the investigations, with a more detailed description of those that are continuing. This report is designated "Report No. 5.'' The four previous summary reports are listed as A-1 through A-4 of the bibliography. The major part of the work reported herein and the preparation of this report constitutes part of Civil Works Investigation item CW 604, "Continuation of Permanent Exposure Stations.'' The studies were made by the Concrete Research Division, Waterways Experiment Station. Personnel actively engaged in the direction and conduct of the work include Messrs. H. K. Cook, T. B. Kennedy, B. Mather, C. H. Willetts, R. V. Tye, E. J. Callan, E. E. McCoy, E. C. Roshore, L. K. Farrior, and M. H. Peabody.
|Rights:||Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.|
|Appears in Collections:||Documents|
Files in This Item:
|WES-Technical-Memorandum-No.6-226-Report-5.pdf||3.8 MB||Adobe PDF|