Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Drainage systems and engineering measurement devices, St. Johns Bayou Floodgate, Missouri. Appendix A, Engineering measurement devices and remedial operations, 1955-1963|
|Authors:||United States. Mississippi River Commission.|
Sherman, Walter C.
Trahan, Charles Curtis.
St Johns Bayou, Missouri
|Publisher:||U.S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station.|
Engineer Research and Development Center (U.S.)
Foreword: This is an appendix to one of a series of reports of foundation and soil mechanics features of recently completed structures in the U. S. Army Engineer Division, Lower Mississippi Valley, Corps of Engineers. These studies are being conducted for the Engineering Division of the Mississippi River Commission (MRC), Corps of Engineers, by the U. S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station (WES). The St. Johns Bayou Floodgate, except for the drainage and relief well systems which were designed by the WES, was designed by the MRC. The structure was built under the supervision of the U. S. Army Engineer District, Memphis, with construction started in July 1949 and completed in April 1953. A description of the structure, pertinent construction data, and initial data from engineering measurement devices through June 1955 are contained in the basic report, WES Technical Memorandum 3-425, Drainage Systems and Engineering Measurement Devices, St. Johns Bayou Floodgate, Missouri, January 1956. This appendix contains analyses of settlement and piezometric data obtained from 1955 to 1963, analyses of data from pumping tests performed in March and July 1957, and descriptions of remedial measures required for the drainage system in the intake area and of the installation of new wells and piezometers. Settlement and piezometric observation data were furnished by Messrs. J. W. Black and J. M. Pollock of the Memphis District. The installation of the new wells, pumping tests on them, and repairs to the drainage system were made by WES personnel under the immediate supervision of Mr. T. B. Goode, Chief, Inspection and Exploration Section, Soils Division, WES. The field operations performed under Mr. Goode's supervision, and the preparation of this appendix by Messrs. W. C. Sherman and c. C. Trahan of the Engineering Studies Section were under the general supervision of Messrs. W J. Turnbull, A. A. Maxwell, and J. R. Compton, Soils Division, WES. The MRC and the Memphis District reviewed and approved the report prior to its publication. Director of the WES during the preparation of this report was Col. Alex G. Sutton, Jr., CE. Technical Director was Mr. J.B. Tiffany
|Rights:||Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.|
|Appears in Collections:||Technical Memorandum|
Files in This Item:
|WES-Technical-Memorandum-No.3-425-Appendix-A.pdf||1.96 MB||Adobe PDF|